The immeasurable and horrendous damage palm oil production is having on the world’s rainforests and wildlife is no secret. But sometimes, it feels like it’s almost impossible to cut palm oil completely out of your life given the huge variety of products that list the oil as an ingredient.
Avoiding it can be tricky, since it tends to pop up in everything from hand soap to breakfast cereals, but it’s not impossible! Take a look at our tips and suggestions below for how to incorporate palm-oil alternatives into your life so you can be 100% sure you’re doing right by our rainforests, wildlife and entire planet.
- Vegan Butter Recipe: This quick and super easy recipe by vegan chef, Miyoko Schinner (bottom of page) will change the way you bake all your goodies from now on.
- Olive oil: The obvious alternative, olive oil, goes great on just about anything…from toast to pasta and works just as well as non-stick sprays you buy in the supermarket that contain palm oil.
- Avocado: Avocado is an amazing alternative to palm oil. You can substitute avocado for butter in a 1:1 ratio, but since it doesn’t melt the same way it won’t coat your dry ingredients the same. You need to increase your wet ingredients a little to compensate.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil and baked goods are two things that go hand-in-hand. Coconut oil adds moisture and a depth of flavor to every recipe you include it in. It can also be substituted on a 1:1 ratio for recipes that call for another type of oil/butter.
Household Cleaning Alternatives
- Envirocare, Kin Kin Naturals, and Natures Organics are all household cleaning brands that offer palm oil-free products.
- The brand Aware is also dedicated to making palm oil free laundry products and waas the first palm oil-free brand available in supermarkets!
- You can also consider making your own detergents and cleaning products from scratch, which is very easy and cost-effective! Distilled white vinegar is one item that can handle 90% of household messes without leaving behind any chemical residue or toxins.
Hand soaps + body wash
- Fanciful Fox is one of our most favorite soaperies which makes hand-crafted, palm oil-free bath and body products. Check out their website to find out more.
- LUSH soaps are all handmade with fresh, organic fruits and veggies and have great scents such as ginger, sea vegetable, and even porridge. Vegan products are clearly labeled on the company’s website, too, so shopping is very easy!
- Pure Nuff Stuff and Gentle Earth are also two additional companies that have stated they use absolutely no palm oil in their soaps and body washes.
- Believe it or not, there are actually tons of DIY beauty products you can make at home without using a single drop of palm oil. One Green Planet has a great list of tutorials right here.
- Essential Care, Honesty Cosmetics, and LaMari are also three companies that produce 100% palm oil-free beauty products
- We also recommend vegan beauty company, Ecco Bella, which has a wide variety of cruelty-free, natural makeup items available on their website.
For more information about the negative impact palm oil production is having on wildlife and the planet, check out our Action Line article “Rainforest Refugees” right here.
You can also view our Palm Oil-Free board on Pinterest below!Follow Friends of Animals’s board Palm Oil Free on Pinterest.