Holiday Beet Hummus
Makes 2 ½ cups
1 medium beet, roasted
2 cups cooked chickpeas or beans
3 garlic cloves, peeled and cored
1 tablespoon tahini or 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Juice of 1 large lemon
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees F (190C).
- Remove stem and roots from beet and wash.
- Drizzle a little of the olive oil and wrap in foil.
- Bake till tender when poked with a knife, about one hour. Let cool.
- In a blender or food processor mash the cooked chickpeas with the rest of ingredients until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the hummus in a medium bowl and create swirls on top. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with smoked paprika.
- Serve with pita, tortilla chips or raw vegetable slices or sticks.